ยซ1

Comments

• meathdmeathd Oconomowoc,WI
    edited October 2009
    "cool beans"
    it took me a couple of reads to get it
    thanks great job!
  • edited October 2009
    Yours is the first site to specifically state from a USB via the DVD. I want to load 7 Ultimate alongside XP Pro. This is the first site I have been able to find that states how to do this.
    Will give it a go and let you know from my end.
    Thanks up front for the advice.
    George.
  • Joe
    edited November 2009
    I'm getting a BOOTMGR is missing error.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you.
  • edited June 2010
    I am a Troll. You are no longer Troll-free. Take that!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Nooooo!
  • edited June 2010
    after entering "MBRwiz /disk=1 /active=1 " i repeatedly get "Invalid or incomplete switch: /disc=1"...
    any ideas?
  • gav
    edited June 2010
    remove "=1" after active
  • Rob
    edited June 2010
    People who get the "invalid or incomplete switch" error.....i was facing the same issue with MBRWIZ 3.0 beta....then i switched to MBRWIZ 2.0 and ran the HP USB STORAGE FORMAT TOOL again and it worked.
    Thanks for the info...helped a lot
  • edited June 2010
    Great Tutorial!! Thanks!!
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, and with MBRWIZ 3.0 you have to use "/active" in place of "/active=1"
  • edited June 2010
    Are all the versions of Windows 7 on one DVD (like Vista) or are there separate DVDs (similar to XPP and XPH CDs)? What about 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7?

The reason that I ask is that I've asked in several High Street computer repair companies and they're split 50/50 about whether they're all on the same DVD or separate DVDs.

Finally, I've been told that the Windows 7 media is "locked" though I don't know exactly what this means. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit are separate DVDs. Every DVD contains all the versions of Windows 7, and your license key determines what gets installed.
  • I appreciate for this stuff.. THANK YOU A LOT.. This forum is the best useful and trustable forum.. Same subjects are also available on another forums but they completely false and full of mistakes... THANKS A LOT.. I m so happy that I cant tell :)
  • edited January 2011
    A lot of errors that people are getting is that they're not typing the command correctly.

Remember that it's spelled 'disk', not 'disc'.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    That's a good point, Ferus. Thanks for bringing that up.
  • spin498spin498 mississauga ON New
    edited January 2011
    Got a question for Thrax. If every Win7 DVD contains every version, why does my Home Premium DVD only allow me to access 'Home Premium'?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    spin498 wrote:
    Got a question for Thrax. If every Win7 DVD contains every version, why does my Home Premium DVD only allow me to access 'Home Premium'?

The only difference in versions is the packages and licensing configuration. Since the DVD contains all of the packages available, any version can be installed/anytime-upgraded from one disc.

The version that gets installed/activated is dependent on the key you enter to activate.
    edited January 2011
    As Alex said, it only allows you to install Home Premium because that is what your license unlocks. Using the Windows Anytime Upgrade function, you can purchase a new key that will unlock any higher tier of Windows at your leisure.

Side note: if you dump the Windows 7 DVD to an ISO and delete EI.CFG in the ISO and burn that ISO back to DVD, you'll be given the option to install any version of Windows. Your key will only work for the version you purchased, but there it is.
    edited January 2011
    so if I use my Home Premium DVD to create the USB I only need to delete EI.CFG from the finished product to access the other versions?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    But you'll still need a valid key to access them.
    edited January 2011
    spin498 wrote:
    so if I use my Home Premium DVD to create the USB I only need to delete EI.CFG from the finished product to access the other versions?
    Your key will only work for the version you purchased, but there it is.
    edited January 2011
    I understand I would need a valid key to activate another version. That's not what I'm asking, it's been posted here that 'all' versions are on the same DVD. My Home Premium DVD will only allow me access to Home Premium. I'm not calling anyone a liar here but I'd like to see this for myself. I'm a tinkerer, I like to break things down to see how they work, this is an opportunity to expand my knowledge base.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    spin498 wrote:
    Yes.
    edited January 2011
    spin498 wrote:
    I understand I would need a valid key to activate another version. That's not what I'm asking, it's been posted here that 'all' versions are on the same DVD. My Home Premium DVD will only allow me access to Home Premium. I'm not calling anyone a liar here but I'd like to see this for myself. I'm a tinkerer, I like to break things down to see how they work, this is an opportunity to expand my knowledge base.

EI.CFG determines what version the disc installs automatically. Microsoft uses a different EI.CFG for each version, but the other versions are made accessible by deleting it.
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    EI.CFG determines what version the disc installs automatically. Microsoft uses a different EI.CFG for each version, but the other versions are made accessible by deleting it.

So, if it works, I can install an upgraded version test it for 30 days, and simply buy the proper licence from MS, rather than add another two pieces of circular plastic to an already huge collection of generally useless discs. Linux anyone? I've got discs going back to the 90's. I'm a hoarder as well as a tinkerer.
    edited January 2011
    You don't even need to do that. Run the Anytime Upgrade client from the Start Menu, and you will be prompted to purchase a higher version of Windows. After inserting your DVD, issuing your new key and waiting a while, the new version will be installed and activated.
    edited January 2011
    Really? I'd operated on the assumption that they just let me download an upgrade. And sent me discs later.
    edited January 2011
    Thrax, just to clarify, does the system you want to upgrade from need to be active?
    Make a long story short, had to re & re my Win 7 home install. MS won't reactivate it automatically and want to charge me $60 to talk to a human being. For an extra $30 I might as well upgrade.
    edited January 2011
    You're trying to call the wrong number if they're charging you to activate. Use this: 1 888 725-1047

Yes, the system must be activated.